For adults helping adults
Like CPR training helps a non-medical professional assist an individual following a heart attack, Adult Mental Health First Aid Training helps an individual who doesn’t have clinical training assist someone experiencing mental health issues of concern. The goal of Adult Mental Health First Aid is to help support an individual until appropriate professional help or support strategies are available.
Adult Mental Health First Aid Training teaches a 5-step process to:
- assess a situation
- select and implement appropriate interventions, and
- help an individual connect with appropriate care.
• the risk factors and warning signs of specific illnesses such as anxiety, depression, psychosis and addiction
• engage in activities that build understanding of the impact of illness, and
• receive information about effective treatment programs.
Mental Health First Aiders learn to use a single strategy approach
Trainees learn to apply a simple approach to specific types of situations such as helping someone through a panic attack, engaging with someone who may be anxious, depressed or even suicidal, supporting a person experiencing psychosis, and helping an individual who has overdosed. An important component of the Mental Health First Aid training is that trainees practice the intervention strategy rather than just learn about it. This experience can make it easier to actually apply the knowledge in a real-life situation.
- Understand the definition and goals of Mental Health First Aid.
- Learn and practice the Action Plan for Mental Health First Aid using the Five Basic Steps:
- Assessing risk of suicide or harm
- Listening non-judgmentally
- Giving reassurance and information
- Encouraging person to get appropriate professional help
- Encouraging self-help strategies.
- Receive an overview of mental health problems and types of treatment available.
- Learn about the most prevalent mental illnesses; their definitions, causes, risk factors, warning signs and symptoms.
- Obtain information on resources (websites/ organizations) for continued study and reference.
Training Modules Cover:
1. What is Mental Health First Aid
2. Mental health problems
3. Recognizing Depression
4. Anxiety Disorders
5. What is Psychosis
6. Understanding Substance Use Disorders
7. Harming Behaviors: Deliberate Self-injury
8. Resources and References
If you have further questions regarding the training please E-mail CommunityRelations@kmhs.org.